CLASSES & INTERNSHIPS
Community Classes offered by Plowshares Theatre Company members. All levels at invited, ages 16 and up. Students under 16 must receive approval from the instructor to attend. Participants are chosen by audition and interview only. Auditions for the classes will be held on Monday, March 17, 2018 at 4:00 PM.
Unless otherwise specified, ALL CLASSES are taught by Artistic Director Gary Anderson.
WHEN: 6:30 pm to 9:00 pm Every Monday starting April 9 and running through to May 28. The length of the course will be 8 weeks of study. The course will conclude with an Actors’ Showcase during the week of June 4, 2018.
WHAT: Participants will be introduced to focus and concentration exercises along with those covering movement and voice for the stage. All will learn various types of audition techniques and how to prepare to get “the role.” Students must have a monologue by the end of the first week of class from a published play.
By the end of the class, each participant will have at least two memorized audition pieces.
PREREQUISITES: No prerequisite acting experience required.
WHEN: 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM Every Saturday starting April 14 and running through to June 30. The length of the course will be 12 weeks of study. The course will conclude with an Actors’ Showcase during the week of July 2, 2018.
WHAT: Participants will learn of various acting techniques and approaches as they relate to building a character. Each student will be helped to find those that best fit them and their process. Also, we will look extensively into character development by exploring the creative and analytical process involved in building a character.
By the end of the session, students will have presented a recital of at least three different characters.
Contact us at 313.744.3181.
PREREQUISITES: Completion of Acting I or equivalent acting experience required.
Plowshares Theatre Company is seeking a few good men and women. Do you love the theatre? Like to know what’s going on behind the scenes? Enjoy fun and excitement? If your answers are yes, please mark your calendar and learn more about Plowshares Theatre Company’s Internship Opportunities.
To qualify for an internship with Plowshares Theatre Company, you must demonstrate an interest in learning about the theater as well as show some minimal experience working in a theater production environment. Also, applicants must be willing to commit to the schedules below. Plowshares asks its interns for a 3 to 9-month commitment. Interns are not paid.
WHO WE WANT
- Challengers. People who seek out the hard projects and work to find just the right solutions.
- Teammates. Partners who listen to ideas, share thoughts and work together to move any project forward.
- Charismatic networkers. Relationship-savvy people who intentionally make connections with both internal partners and external contacts.
- Strategic thinkers. Interns who propose innovative ideas and consistently exceed their performance objectives.
- Patron-oriented achievers. Individuals with an unparalleled work ethic and patron-focused attitude who bring value to their partnerships.
- Game changers. Persistent interns who will stop at nothing to live out our mission to make theatre for, by and about Black people. Represent!
Production interns will usually serve under stage management supervision. Opportunities to serve alongside the Artistic Director are entered into by special arrangement only. The supervisor determines hours per week, but generally, the need fluctuates along production calendar timelines:
- During rehearsals: min. 20hrs/week
- During Tech week: min. 40 hours
- During the run: min 20hrs/week
Duties include attendance to all rehearsals and performances, provision of assistance to stage manager, carpenters and/or lighting technicians on the build.
During the run, duties include props and scenic presets/post-sets, shifting of scenery and props, dressing assistance to actors, or board operation, depending on the logistical need.
Call 313.744.3181 for information on the performance season, stage management and production interns.
Assist Office Manager, Production Manager and/or Managing Director in daily duties in the office. Requirements include good written and verbal communication skills, an interest in learning about the production environment from an administrative service perspective, and some minimal computer practical understanding. Duties will include some correspondence and filing, answering telephones, copying/collating, research, data entry, and document production/distribution. Scheduling work hours can be flexible.
Administrative internships requires a minimum commitment of 10 hours per week.
Reports to: Marketing Director. Time Commitment: 10-15 hours per week. The Marketing Intern position is a great opportunity for a person to get into the real workings of a theater. Plowshares produces a mainstage season of contemporary and classic plays and offers ancillary artistic, educational and community programs.
Responsibilities of the Marketing Intern include:
- Assist the Marketing Director in the marketing, promotion, and publicity of Plowshares Theatre Company and its work.
- Prepare and distribute calendar notices
- Assist in the preparation and distribution of media kits
- Make follow-up telephone calls to the press
- Coordinate mailings and poster/bookmark/postcard distribution
- Assist in the maintenance of press and production files, and mailing lists
- Provide assistance with the coordination of Previews, Opening nights, and special events
- Assist with playbill advertising sales and cross promotions
- Assist with previews and opening nights
- Assist with the creation, coordination, production, and distribution of Plowshares Theatre Company materials such as playbills, press kits, lobby signage and displays, study guides and fundraising materials as needed.
- Assist in the implementation of strategies to market the theater to new populations for group sales
- Assist in the maintenance of Plowshares Theatre Company’s website.
Qualifications for Marketing Interns include an interest in the nonprofit arts, preferably theater; an interest in marketing and public relations; computer experience, knowledge of graphics programs ideal but not required, and excellent written, verbal and phone skills.
For any of these opportunities, please send resume and/or letter to:
Plowshares Theatre Company
440 Burroughs St.
Detroit, MI 48202